The avocado is a rather unique type of fruit (yes, a fruit!). Most fruit consists primarily of carbohydrate, while avocado is high in healthy fats.
Avocados are an amazing food for many reasons and they truly are one of the top superfoods to add to your diet! Numerous studies show that it has powerful beneficial effects on health, including:
- Improved heart health
- Lower risk for metabolic syndrome
- Healthy skin, eyes and hair
- Cancer prevention
- Help with weight loss
- Better digestive health
- Protection from insulin resistance and diabetes
- Helps to balance the hormones
Below are the main nutrients found in avocados
- Monounsaturated fats — which for decades has been linked to protection against heart disease, cancer, cognitive decline and many other disorders.
- Vitamins A, E and K — Our bodies not only require these vitamins to function properly, but they also work together in an integrated way with essential minerals (such as magnesium and zinc) to impact metabolic factors (such as carbon dioxide and thyroid hormone).
- Vitamins B and C — Avocados are one of the better vitamin C foods and sources of B vitamins.
- Important trace minerals (like magnesium, potassium, iron and copper) — You would need to eat two bananas to meet the potassium content in just one whole avocado.
- Loads of fiber – Avocados contain more soluble fiber than most foods and help stabilize blood sugar levels, facilitate proper bowel regularity and maintain proper weight control.
- Protein — Avocados are on the list of top protein foods. They have the highest protein and lowest sugar content of any fruit.
- Antioxidants — Antioxidants prevent oxidative damage (also called free radicals) that have the power to change DNA and result in cell mutations (which leads to cancer).
- Folate — Because of its high supply of the crucial nutrient folate, avocado benefits include preventing certain birth defects like spinal bifida and neural tube defects. Research has even suggested that folate-rich foods can help prevent strokes!
I think these are all great reasons to add more avocados into our diet, isn’t it? Here are a couple of delicious recipes you can make it at home:
- 2 very ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 small tomato, diced
- ¼ cup of red onion, diced
- ¼ cup of cilantro, chopped
- Spoon out avocados into large bowl. Add lime juice, minced garlic, and sea salt.
- With a spoon, mash together until mixture becomes creamy.
- Add in diced tomato, red onion and cilantro and mix until well combined.
- Serve immediately with sliced red peppers, celery, or carrots.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse Recipe
- ½ cup medjool dates, soaked
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1½ cups mashed avocado (2-3 avocados)
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup water
- Blend or process dates, maple syrup and vanilla extract until smooth. Add mashed avocado and cacao powder and process until creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula if needed.
- Add the water and process until smooth. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator up to 3 days or in the freezer up to 2 weeks.